Wednesday, December 29, 2010

One half of the Vacation

Okay, this year, the year 2010, for the first time in years, we have gone on holiday :D the whole family~ and it wasn't cut short and it was mostly peaceful... not many photos... we are a weird family. When we go on holiday, we hardly take photos, and when we are not on holiday, we don't take any at all... Even though it didn't really go the way it was initially supposed to go...

In the beginning we were going to Taman Negara in Pahang. Then we changed our mind... actually, I think I might have had a big hand in this change. I didn't want to go Taman Negara, 'cause there had be lots of mud and you had get sweaty and dirty, and wet D: D-I-S-G-U-S-T-I-N-G. So we were going to Ipoh to have a look at the limestone caves there. Right. We were goin', and then we were goin', and then the night of the PPS farewell dinner, my mum got a phone call that rearranged half our schedule.

My grandfather on my mum's side died. He was kinda old, yeah. 78 years old. He had suffered a major stroke about 10 years ago. And two more minor ones, and I think a heart attack as well. Mum said the main cause of his death was old age. Anyway, we had to pack off to Singapore then to attend the funeral. It was a Buddhist funeral. There was lots of chanting and bells and a weird instrument that made a sound like the clicking of the tongue, as well as a tiny little drum. There were some rituals... on the 25th of December, yes, Christmas day, granddad was cremated. We kinda forgot it was Christmas day. I didn't feel like it at all. It started raining right after most of the funeral stuff was done, and only when we switched on the TV did we happen to remember it was Christmas, because it was showing a Christmas show. I think it was Alvin and the Chipmunks. Then we had a small scale Christmas dinner with chicken as the make-shift turkey and a bit of chocolate. We couldn't do much because we had to respect our granddad's memory. I guess we were okay with it since we hardly celebrated Christmas, anyway.

So now that granddad's passed away too, I don't have anymore grandparents on wither side of the family. I never knew any of my grandparents very well. I wasn't born when my dad's parents died. On my mother's side, there was a language as well as a distance gap. My grandma died last year. I guess I'm pretty fine with that, meaning no disrespect to my grandparents. What's past is past. What's gone is gone. They were good people who raised my mum and dad and without whom I would never be here. So that's the one half of my 'vacation'...

No comments:

Post a Comment